Sunday, September 27, 2015

I am not sick, I don't need help!

Dr. Xavier Amador is an internationally sought-after speaker, clinical psychologist, professor at Columbia University Teachers College in New York City, the Founder and Director of the LEAP™ Institute and author of eight books including the national best seller I’m Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help!

In this video he talks about dealing with anosognosia, the lack of insight regarding a mental illness. The video was recorded during the Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia's Annual Conference in 2005.

For a PowerPoint presentation on Dr. Amador's Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner (LEAP) approach, click here.



Part 1 of 2 (57 minutes)



Part 2 of 2 (53 minutes)

This video was reviewed by Schizophrenia.com on December 27, 2006. To read the review, please click here.


Other videos featuring Dr. Amador:


Cambridge Talk on Helping People with Mental Illness - October 2, 2012 (NAMI Cambridge Chapter)

Keynote speech to the annual convention of the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare
(May 2011)

2011 Nordic Psychiatry Academy Interview with Dr. Amador

"I am not Sick, I don't need help!" presentation at the 2011 Nordic Psychiatry Academy

Anosognosia Workshop — July 3, 2010 (NAMI Conference)

Also see:

I am Not Sick, I Don't Need Help! How to help someone with mental illness accept treatment. 10th Anniversary Edition

1 comment:

Tony said...

I've just finished reading the power point presentation on the LEAP approach. I think that this is an excellent way to help people who lack insight into their illness.

Personally I've always had insight into my illness. I have always known that I was ill. I have always taken my meds faithfully even though they did not work or help me for 15 to 20 years.

Although the meds I'm on now do work. My symptoms are pretty much under control.

But I have to say with sadness that I have come across people in the past that have lacked insight into their illness. I only wish that I had known about the LEAP approach back then. Who knows I might have been able to help these people if I had of known about this approach.

I must confess though this approach is no guarantee to help successfully get the person to agree to the treatment regime but I think that this is the best approach that one can use to help those in need.